Processing the unfolding situation in Israel & Gaza
We invite all in the NIF community to make use of this page as the increased violence and crisis in Israel continues.
Conversation with Dr Yeela Raanan of Regional Council of Unrecognised Villages and Max Korman, Director of Programming of NIF, 23 November 2023.
Conversation with Dr Yasmeen Abu-Fraiha, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Rodaina and NIF Board member for the Jewish International Film Festival, recorded 12 November 2023.
Conversation "On the Ground: Today, Tomorrow and the Day After" featuring leading activists from on the ground in Israel. NIF, in partnership with the Jewish Labor Bund brings you a conversation with experts, journalists and change makers in Israel, to help you make sense of what's going on, recorded on 12 November 2023.
Conversation between Lee Caspi, Director of Resource Development at Physicians for Human Rights in Israel and Michael Chaitow, Executive Director of NIF, 8 November 2023.
Event from our partners in Germany with NIF Israel Associate Director Shira Ben-Sasson Furstenberg and Dr. Yasmeen Abu Fraiha, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Rodaina and NIF Board member.
Webinar hosted by our friends on October 31 from NIF in the US with NIF Israel Executive Director, Mickey Gitzin, Shatil's Director in Haifa, Fida Nara Tabony and Amit Ben Ami, the Partnerships Director of the Tzedek Centres.
Update from NIF partners in Israel, FakeReporter, Jerusalem Open House and Omdim Beyachad/Standing Together discussing their work right now.
Update from NIF Israel staff touring the villages across the south that we are supporting right now at this urgent moment for Bedouins, Jews and Arabs alike.
Update from NIF Israel Associate Director Shira Ben-Sasson Furstenberg, 30 October 2023.
Testimonial from Kibbutz Be'eri Survivor, 11 October 2023.
Video from Have You Seen the Horizon Lately , 5 November 2023.
- Noam Shuster Eliasi: "We are broken" on Unsettled, 13.11.23
- Coverage of our shared society work: 'The Jews and Arabs coexisting in crisis', BBC, 9.11.23
- 'Reflections on the Israeli Left', Times of Israel Podcast with NIF Israel Executive Director Mickey Gitizin, 8.11.23
- 'Wartime Diaries: Sahar Vardi', Israel Stories, 7.11.23
- 'The Loneliness of the Israeli Left' with Sally Abed, Yair Wallach and Michael Sfard on 'On the Nose', 26.10.23
- 'The space for peace and Jewish-Arab solidarity is shrinking in wartime Israel' NPR, 25.10.23
- 'Israeli military veterans describe actions that pummeled Gaza ahead of 2014 invasion' NPR, 24.10.23
- NIF US CEO, Daniel Sokatch shares stories of what's happening on the ground, 24.10.23
- 'Peace activists in Israel speak about their hopes for the end of war' NPR, 21.10.23
- Tom Friedman on NYT 'Matter of Opinion' 19.10.23
- Groundwork Podcast (Great background info on social issues/dilemmas and activists)
New Israel Fund Australia statement, 8.10.23
New Israel Fund Australia Statement, 12.10.23
New Israel Fund Australia Statement, 13.10.23
New Israel Fund Australia Statement, 16.10.23
- 'Five Miles and a World Apart, Younger Activists Dream of a New Peace Process', Mark Landler, New York Times, November 16, 2023
- 'A Palestinian physician in Israel wrestles with her duty in the war', Ghousoon Bisharat, +972 Magazine, 16 November 2023
- 'A Tribute to Vivian', Samah Salaime, +972 Magazine, 14 November 2023
- 'Bedouin Relatives of Hostages Held by Hamas: 'This Isn't a Religious War'', Shany Littman, Haaretz, 13 November 2023
- 'The side of humanity: I’m having to rediscover what it means to be Jewish in the aftermath of 7 October' Simon Tedeschi, ABC, 12 November 2023
- 'They are behaving in a Fascist Way: An Israeli-Arab Lawmaker on the Stifling of Anti-War Voices', Yasmeen Serhan, Time, 11 November 2023
- 'Israel Therapy', an ongoing column (and upcoming podcast) from NIF VP Public Engagement in the US, Libby Lekinski
- 'Inside the Israeli crackdown on speech', Masha Geesen, New Yorker, 8 November 2023
- 'In the Middle East, Despair is Not an Option, by David Remnick, New Yorker, 4 November 2023
- 'Israel is silencing internal critics', by Michael Sfard, NYTimes
- 'The tragedy of the Israel-Palestine conflict is this: underneath all the horror is a clash of two just causes' by Jonathan Freedland, The Guardian
- 'Listen to Israeli survivors: They don't want revenge', by Orly Noy, 972 Magazine
- ‘I hope it can endure’: examples of Jewish-Arab solidarity offer hope in Israel, The Guardian
- 'Missing Mark Baker’s voice: law, morality and the Israel-Gaza war', Michelle Lesh, Plus61J
- 'The Tangled Grief of Israel’s Anti-Occupation Activists', New Yorker
- 'Israelis Must Maintain Their Humanity Even When Their Blood Boils' Michael Sfard, Haaretz
- 'Why We on the Israeli Left Feel Hit From Both Sides' Ksenia Svetlova, New Republic
- 'I’m Going to War for Israel. Palestinians Are Not My Enemy', Nir Cohen, New York Times
- 'Peace, a Forgotten Word, Renews its Claim in the Holy Land' New York Times
- 'The Two Things Worrying U.S. Military Officials About Israel and Hamas' Tom Friedman, New York Times
- 'Picking up the pieces of our grief' Noam Shuster, 972 Magazine
- 'What Palestinians really think of Hamas' Foreign Affairs
- 'I lost my parents in the Hamas attack. My family want peace, not revenge for their deaths' Magen Inon, The Guardian
- 'What It Takes to Choose Life Over Revenge' Aymen Odeh, New York Tmes
- 'I Fought for the I.D.F. in Gaza. It Made Me Fight for Peace.' Benzion Sanders, New York Times
- 'Arab Citizens of Israel Face a Cruel Quandary: Our State Is Fighting Our Own People' Mohammed Darawshe, Haaretz
- 'I Was There. In Kfar Azza. Indiscriminate Bombing of Gaza Is Not the Solution' Ziv Stahl, Haaretz
- Gershon Baskin's (form Israeli negotiator with Hamas and peace activist) letter to Hamas leader, 2.11.23
News & Analysis: