About NIF Australia
NIF Australia was established in 2011 to promote equality of civil and human rights, social and economic justice, women’s rights, religious pluralism and tolerance, and environmental protection. It has a presence in Melbourne and Sydney, a younger members’ section, NIForum, and a large database of supporters and donors that is continuing to grow.
In Australia we’ve set about changing the communal conversation, to make sure that we’re talking about the real social justice, human rights and shared society challenges Israel faces. We believe that Israeli society is complex, and it’s important we engage with it holistically, not just one part of it. We’re committed to talking about issues – whether it’s the lack of affordable housing and increasing socio-economic gaps, the plight of asylum seekers in South Tel Aviv, or the human rights challenges in the West Bank.
We also actively empower Israelis within civil society. NIF has more than a hundred grantees in Israel that work across sectors within some of the most marginalised communities to create a better, more inclusive, fair and democratic society.
This is your opportunity to contribute to our fast growing organisation!
Purpose of the role
As a projects officer you will assist in setting up events and projects. The events will be educational – whether it is organising a videoconference with a speaker from Israel, or assisting with the schedule and logistics for an international speaker coming to Australia – and you will work hand-in-hand with the Executive Director to make them happen.
You will also be responsible for liaising with speakers, assisting in their preparation to understand the mechanics of the Jewish community in Australia, and the broader aims of the event or campaign.
Tasks, Activities & Responsibilities
- Research areas of interest and speakers to bring to the executive director for consideration as a speaker
- Liaise directly with speakers, from Australia and overseas
- Investigate and book venues appropriate to hold functions and events
- Assist with marketing the events
- Liaise with supporters and donors before, during and after the event to ensure a smooth function
- Assist with the implementation of events, including technical aspects
- Assist with post-event surveying of attendees to monitor success and progress
- Administrative functions as required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Creative ideas on methods of engagement between our supporters and relevant content
- Professional demeanour when dealing with NIF Australia board members and staff, supporters, stakeholders, donors, hosts and speakers
- Understanding of the use of video conference technology and software, e.g. Skype, Google+ Hangout
- Some experience with online CMS programs, e.g. Wordpress
- An understanding of the socio-political climate in Israel and NIF’s work in that context
- An understanding of the Jewish and Zionist communities in Australia
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- 5-10 hours per week
- Be able to occasionally work outside business hours
- Provide your own laptop or iPad to work on
- A commitment of six months to this position