About NIF Australia
NIF Australia was established in 2011 to promote equality of civil and human rights, social and economic justice, women’s rights, religious pluralism and tolerance, and environmental protection. It has a presence in Melbourne and Sydney, a younger members’ section, NIForum, and a large database of supporters and donors that is continuing to grow.
In Australia we’ve set about changing the communal conversation, to make sure that we’re talking about the real social justice, human rights and shared society challenges Israel faces. We believe that Israeli society is complex, and it’s important we engage with it holistically, not just one part of it. We’re committed to talking about issues – whether it’s the lack of affordable housing and increasing socio-economic gaps, the plight of asylum seekers in South Tel Aviv, or the human rights challenges in the West Bank.
We also actively empower Israelis within civil society. NIF has more than a hundred grantees in Israel that work across sectors within some of the most marginalised communities to create a better, more inclusive, fair and democratic society.
This is your opportunity to contribute to our fast growing organisation!
Purpose of the role
As a communications officer you will be responsible for implementing NIF Australia’s communications plan. This means sourcing and producing information that can be distributed to our supporters and the wider Jewish community through various channels.
The plan aims to promote the sum of NIF’s work in Israel and NIF Australia’s work locally, increase the understanding of NIF’s work in Israel, provide educational materials to the Jewish community, and respond to developments in Israel.
Tasks, Activities & Responsibilities
Communications and website
- Research and write content for NIF Australia's to-be-launched website
- Research and gather news from NIF’s grantees in Israel and produce content to publicise in Australia via e-mail and social media
- Gather resources on Jewish and Israeli festivals for distribution to NIF’s supporter base
- Follow news coming out of Israel and post grantee- and issue area-specific news on social media
- Be constantly on the look out for content for NIF Australia’s social media pages
- Collate media mentions of NIF Australia
- Create marketing collateral for NIF Australia’s events
- Provide in-person assistance at NIF Australia’s events
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Very strong written skills, particularly an understanding of appropriate language for different media contexts
- Fluency in Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
- Some experience with online CMS programs, e.g. Wordpress
- Experience with photo and image editing software, e.g. Adobe Photoshop
- An understanding of the socio-political climate in Israel and NIF’s work in that environment
- An understanding of the Jewish and Zionist communities in Australia
- Ability to work both independently and in a small team
- 5-10 hours per week
- Be able to occasionally work outside business hours
- Provide your own laptop or iPad to work on
- A commitment of six months to this position